(Bumped up on 8/22/08)
ONE TICKET CONFIRMED! THANKS Diablo III DB! Need ONE ticket for my handler!
Good afternoon, all. Interesting title, isn't it? Sit back, and I'll tell you a tale. A tale of depression and desperation.
Sounds interesting! What exactly do I get?
- Two (2) seats in a 2003 Buick Regal with Dual-Zone Climate Control! (And leather.)
- Arrive in true Horde style with "SHUHALO" vanity plates.
- All of your meals on the road, paid for!
- All of your accomodations on the road, paid for!
- Accommodations at Blizzcon (TBD), paid for!
- My eternal gratitude and written promise to NOT cry on you.
- Getting your picture taken with a lunatic in a full-body Tauren costume!
What do YOU have to have and do?
- Have two paid for and confirmed Blizzcon 2008 tickets for people who can no longer attend.
- Be located between Cleveland Ohio and Anaheim California!
- Be packed and ready to go when I show up!
- Travel relatively light - no more than two suitcases each, please!
- Must be 21+ with a valid and current driver's license for your state of residence!
We will grant an exception for an under-21 if they're travelling with a parent, sibling, or guardian over 21!
- Must not object to smoking in the car, but non-smokers welcome. We try to mind our smoke. Hotel rooms will be smoking or non-smoking by your preference, when possible.
- Provide occasional assistance to a Tauren cosplayer between panels and events.
This mostly will be assisting with area control during certain complex movements to prevent injury and carrying an emergency contact card with you.
- Bring your own camera and towel!
Surely there are things you won't pay for?
Indeed there are.
- You'll be responsible for your meals at Blizzcon proper, but we're happy to join you!
- The six t-shirts and four posters you want from the Blizzard Store.
- Going out drinking with your friends, though we're happy to give you a ride if you need it.
- The side trip to Disneyland, though we might join you!
- Bail. ;)
So why should you consider my offer? For starters, selling your ticket on eBay? Risky. You have an army of angry people who want to lynch you, and will report you, and a dangerous new feedback system. Craigslist? Who knows. Forums? Most of them are cracking down on it. And you still have to be there in person to pick it up, otherwise, you risk the joy of mail fraud. And hey, since you're already at Blizzcon...
And to touch on the costs briefly; just the hotels will easily run $500-600 for Anaheim alone, before air fare or gas, rental car, plus still more for food. I would say a fair estimate of the value is at least $1,750.
My primary reason for going isn't the exclusive mount, an excuse to get away from work, or even really because I'm particularly zealous about World of Warcraft or any Blizzard property. I like Tauren. I didn't think I would like WoW, and I got proven very wrong, and I've loved every minute of it. I decided to go to Blizzcon this year because it presented me an opportunity to move my character off the monitor and into the real world to some extent, and share it with a lot more people. Yeah, sounds cheesy, but it truly is the case. I thought it would be a nice trip to drive, even with gas prices what they are, and I could enjoy being a bit of a spectacle among friends.
Am I some old school hardcore raider type? Not really. Hardcore RPer? Nah. PvP omgh4x? Uhm, no. I try to enjoy all parts of the game equally. Have I been in WoW since day one? Not really. Does it matter? Not really, I don't think. I'm just someone who enjoys the game a great deal, and was looking forward to an opportunity to share something I enjoy with a bunch of people I've never met. Now, that's in severe doubt. So, I turn to the folks who did get lucky. Sure, it's a long shot, and it's desperate, but yeah. I do want to go that badly.
If you're interested, you can reach me by leaving a comment here or sending an email at yetama -at- error404 -dot- nls -dot- net; this is a forwarder, as the character will be remaining a surprise. Everything is open to discussion, and we'll do what it takes to make it work, and make it an enjoyable trip for everyone as much as we can.
(Posted 8/15/08, date will be adjusted to stay at the top as needed.)